Today we have guest blogger Julian Hooks from All Workout Routines. His focus today is the importance of a healthy diet when battling cancer. With the prevalence of cancer diagnoses in our country today, it is important to have as many tools to fight this disease. Eating well is certainly one of the great tools to fight cancer while keeping your energy up as much as possible.
Cancer is one of the leading causes of death around the world. Thousands of people succumb to cancer everyday. Come to think of it, what are the risk factors for cancer and how does it begin? What happens when we get cancer and how do we avoid acquiring it? And if we do have cancer, what are the foods to eat to stay healthy? Find out below.
Risk Factors Involving Cancer
1. One of the main risk factors for cancer is genetics. If an immediate family member has cancer, there is more than fifty percent chance that you will also develop cancer in the near future. Although there are still ways to prevent it from happening, if other risk factors are involved there is likely a chance that you will also develop a certain form of cancer.
2. Age is another risk factor for cancer. Most of the time, people at the age of 45 and above are more prone to certain types of cancer such as breast cancer and prostate cancer.
3. People who smoke a lot during the early years of their lives are more prone to developing lung cancer and throat cancer later on in life. Cigarette has a lot of carcinogen that can hasten the onset of cancer.
4. Lifestyle is another risk factor. People who have a sedentary lifestyle are more likely to develop cancer and other forms of diseases. Step up and have regular exercises in order to keep your system going and avoid these harmful illness. Obesity is also a risk factor under lifestyle. Obesity has been linked to many cancers including pancreatic cancer and kidney cancer.
5. Occupational and Environmental factors are also high risk factors for developing cancer. People who are exposd to chemicals or work on hazardous materials tend to develop cancer later on in life. Those who are exposed to constant air pollution and asbestos later on develop lung cancer while people who are exposed to arsenic through drinking are linked to having skin, bladder, and lung cancer.
Now, if you find yourself battling cancer even at its early stages. Some might simply buy Lupron in order to counter the effect of cancer, but correcting and modifying your lifestyle is still the best option. It is best that you have a radical change in your lifestyle and your diet. It is time that you stop smoking and begin exercising daily. It is time that your body gets the health it deserves. Most of the time, we try to neglect it by staying at home without working out, but the best thing you can do to stop the cancer from spreading is to keep a healthy lifestyle and diet. Here are some healthy diet for cancer patients during the course of their treatment.
1. Whole Grain Toast – During cancer treatment and chemotherapy, most of the patients will most likely experience nausea and vomiting. In order to counteract the pain of throwing up, take whole grain toast. Not only will it keep your stomach from getting worked up, it also keeps your digestive tract healthy and prevents diarrhea as well.
2. Ginger – Ginger has been known for ages to prevent nausea. Drink it in tea or simply take a slice of it and eat like a candy.
3. Lentils – Lentils are great sources of protein. During cancer treatment, people do not have the proper nourishment in order to recover from the treatment. Lentils pack 9 grams of protein and 7.8 grams of fiber which is great for those who severely lack protein like cancer patients.
4. Garlic – Not only does garlic boosts the immune system, it is also known to have allyl sulfide which is known to destroy cancer cells. Look to it raw garlic or mix cloves into salads or soups.
5. Spinach – Another great addition to your diet. Spinach is rich in folate which helps your body recover from all the beating it has received from the treatment. It is also rich in lutein which reduces the occurence of cancer hence you simply regenerate well with spinach.
These food alone will help you recover from cancer but not without help from proper exercise and lifestyle modification. Once you have cancer, your life will be very different from before. It is time that you should accept the fact that life needs to change in order to get you better.